Monday 15 September 2014

Assignment 3 (Final) - Canal Trash

Introduction

The assignment started as a survey of the Wey Navigation and Basingstoke Canals, using a bicycle along the towpath. My approach was to identify different themes that described my experience of the canals - locks and weirs, boats, engineering, recreation, homes, reflections (in the water), nature (encroaching) and trash. My essay as submitted to the tutor used 1 image from each of these themes. He felt that it did not work as well as showing 8 images on one of the themes. Taking his advice, I picked 'Trash'. It reveals how little valued these relics of the Industrial Revolution are today.

Images

Railway bridge, Byfleet


An artist or a hooligan at work here?
This noise means something to somebody but
not much to most of us.



Wall of bridge, Frimley Green


Dick was here



Metal drums, Woking


A bright idea - an improvised raft - becomes
a thoughtless one



Supermarket pallet, Woking


Supermarket pallet holds lilies instead of,
say, loaves of bread. Why?



Plastic bag, Woking


Every little helps, except when fly-tipped
into the canal



Coke can, West Byfleet



'I throw my rubbish into the canal because
I can'

Bridge over M25, New Haw



Does the graffiti improve or ruin the look of the bridge?



Bridge, Woking



Never, it seems






No comments:

Post a Comment